Monday, July 31, 2006

Episode 15: Reconstructing Starsky

This week I talk about sizing up and down a sweater with a cable pattern.

I kept turning my head to look at my notes, so I sometimes fade IN AND OUt. Sorry about that.

Starsky Knit A Long

Jordana's website. All hail Jordana!

If you are looking to subsistute yarns, you might want to check out the Standard Yarn Weight System. Since this sweater is in a wool/alpaca blend, you want to be careful what you replace it with. Cotton, for example, may not work, maybe a cotton blend, but be careful. The thing may end up weighing a metric ton.

Starsky!
Macro Shaping of Neckline on one side of sweater (on back, you will need to think about the fact that shaping is happening on both sides)

In the original:
Gauge is 16 sts and 18 rows in 4 inches = 4 sts and 4.5 rows per inch
Decreases happen 14 times every 4th row = 56 rows.
In inches, this means 14/4 = 3.5" in 56/4.5 = 12.4"
Now, we have it in inches, time to convert to
NEW GAUGE: 20 sts and 24 rows = 4 in = 5 sts and 6 rows per inch
NEW decreases
3.5" x 5 = 17.5 stitches; 12.4" x 6 = 74.4 rows
Round to 18 decreases in 74 rows, just about 4 rows/decrease = decrease every fourth row. Eighteen times, instead of 14 times.

Generically =
original gauge = s x r
new gauge = S x R
Decreases happen x times in y rows.
(x/s) x S = new # of decreases
(y/r) x R = new # of rows to decrease
R/S - 1 = # of plain rows in between decrease rows.

If you do plunge in and decide to work your sleeves from scratch, please read this article in knitty.

Also, these sizing charts should be helpful.

Download Episode 15

P.S. - I know I haven't posted the pictures I promised. I ran out of sock yarn.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Lara,

I'm surprised you don't have comments on this podcast yet, I just got to listen to it and thought you did a great job dealing with a complicated issue. I really like your podcast, it's the only one I've found (and I listen to a lot!) that deals with the knitty gritty of knitting patterns. I would like to encourage you to take it a step further for those among us who are visual, not aural, learners. How about a series of tutorials a la Eunny? Or even (whisper) a book? Just a thought. Good luck with your thesis and keep up the inspiring work!
Cassandra

Rachael said...

Hi Lara,
I just listened to reconstructing starsky & I found it incredibly helpful. I am always changing the patterns I do b/c the yarn doesn't fit the gauge and it was good to know that I not alone!

I really enjoy your podcast - math is like a foreign language to me - scary and fascinating at the same time, your podcast definitely helps me work things through.