Monday, December 16, 2013

Design Inspiration: Magic Trick Baby Sweater


Depending on how you look at it, the Magic Trick Baby Sweater is either one of my most challenging designs, or one of my easiest. It started from a conversation on Twitter. I was going on about The Principles of Knitting, and the charming Kate Atherley mentioned War and Peace - and the fact that she knows (and teaches) how to knit two socks in one.
I kind of freaked out about how cool that is, then I wrote, “Wait, what if it were a baby sweater?” The exchange basically turned into a dare/wish for me to make it, so I did. 
Since this sweater starts at the cuffs and works its way in, you have a little while to get used to the way double-knitting feels before you get to the body.
The first version I made kind of drove me crazy, because after I was finished with the “main” knitting, I had a lot of edges, borders and ribbing to add. This version is more simple, with hems already knit onto most of the edges, and minimal finishing.
Luckily for me, one of my co-worker friends had a baby the right age, so I used him as model. (Note to pregnant, local friends, I AM watching your facebook feed to see when I can borrow your kid.)
I sent the design in to Petite Purls and they published it in issue #14. So, go get it! It's free!

No comments: