Tuesday, December 03, 2013

When I Grow Up...


I SWEAR I have read all of her books. Maybe the last two were ebooks?
I have said that I wanted to be Annie Modesitt and/or Stephanie Pearl-McPhee (listed in alphabetical order, of course) when I grow up.

After an almost impossible-to-process weekend that involved over 6 hours of soaking in the awesomeness that is the Yarn Harlot, I've decided that I don't want to BE either of them. 

Rather, I want to attain the qualities I admire in them. 

They are both: 

1) Funny. To the point of pants-changing being a real possibility.
2) Humble.
3) Seem to be very much their "true selves." I mean, they put it all out there. The good, the weird, the I-have-a-complex-relationship-with-my-hair.
4) Authors who are so good at writing it makes me want to be the Igor to their Dr. Frankenstein.
5) Teachers who make me, as a student, feel humble and exhilarated at the same time. 

It's like they're showing me the map of a wonderful country. I've visited once or twice, but they live there. They speak the language. They know where to buy groceries. 

...and they're willing, waiting and wanting to tell all of us what they know. 

What could be more wonderful?

I didn't take any photos. Because I'm a victim of camnesia. I know. I KNOW.

3 comments:

Anita Figueras said...

These are the only two people I have ever taken a knitting class from, and they are just as you describe. You can include mindbending in the list of attributes. They both challenge orthodoxy and encourage us, their students, to find out what works for us rather than get caught up in right way/wrong way. Liberating!

Jane Nearing said...

I've known this for a while, but you put truth into words. They have both added so much to my life.

math4knitters said...

"Mindbending" - YES!