Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Turns Out The Internet Isn't Forever


I've known this was coming for a while, but it was still a shock to me last week when, all of a sudden, the 155 patterns I'd written for the Math4Knitters: Crafty Living blog were...gone. 

The Journal Gazette switched website systems. I don't blame my former employer for not keeping files that are, in some cases, from the beginning of 2010. In newspaper terms, that's about 1,000 years ago! But, I was truly worried that all of the knitters that have enjoyed (or are planning to enjoy) the free patterns I published would be really, really mad at me. 

So far, the only reaction I've had is a nice note from someone who saw that a link wasn't working. I went through that night, removed all of the links, and added notes to the pattern pages on Ravelry. (Yes, on 155 records! Thank goodness for my iPad.) That knitter was completely understanding when I explained the situation. 

We'll see what ends up happening with those patterns. I'll let you know. In the meantime, thanks for not blaming me!

1 comment:

Penandra said...

Have you tried the Wayback Machine (archive.org)? I've frequently found dead links there.